Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Broken Hallelujah

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance." ~Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, 4.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." ~Matthew 5:4

My great uncle had been fighting lung cancer for months, and this morning he finally went to be with God. As sad as everyone is, it is such a blessing. He was in so much pain that he couldn't move, eat, or do anything. The past few days, he couldn't think or talk. He just slept and waited for God to come take him away.

When he first found out, it was already past treatment. I never heard him complain about it. The only thing he complained about was not being able to help out around the house. He used to take stuff to the dump, do yard work, drive places, and help at church, and he was no longer able to do these things. He was upset about that, but I never once heard him complain about the pain he was in, which had to be unbearable sometimes. He lived with his wife (my great aunt) right across the road from my grandma, so she helped them get everything done. My uncle kept slowly getting worse, then it became more rapid. He had to stay in the house because he needed so much assistance getting up. Hospice nurses had to start coming. My grandma told me that he kept the nurses there one day for about 3 hours talking about the Bible. I hope I will have that enthusiasm when I am dying. He was excited to go to heaven. He knew his pain would go away. I am so happy for him right now. He is pain free and rejoicing with the creator of the whole earth. My aunt had grown tired and weary from helping carry him around the house and taking care of him 24/7. It even took a toll on my grandma, because she was doing all their gardening and helping take care of him. I know that they are broken right now, and in so much sadness. But, I know that mourning is temporary. It draws us closer to God. He WILL bring joy. The pain will be eased. Their burdens have been lifted!

The song, "Better Than A Hallelujah," describes our situation very well.
"The woman holding on for life, the dying man giving up the fight are better than a hallelujah sometimes...
We pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody. Beautiful, the mess we are; the honest cries from breaking hearts are better than a hallelujah.."

My uncle was so excited to go and see Jesus face-to-face, and I can't wait for that moment in my life either. In my mind, it's just so hard to see death as a terrible thing when the person dying gets to go to heaven! In heaven, we will be healed and free. We will worship and praise. We will be reunited. I love him and I miss him, but I will see my uncle again soon.

"Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning." ~Psalm 30:5


No comments:

Post a Comment