Thursday, August 7, 2014

He Gives Me Strength

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." -Philippians 4:13

The strength that God can give us when we choose to accept it is unbelievable. God can supply you with so much strength that you didn't know even existed.

I was running a 5K a few weeks ago, and about halfway through the race, after everyone had settled into a steady pace, a spectator told me I was the fifth girl. There were three girls 100-200 yards in front of me and one I couldn't even see. I was like, "I need to pass at least one of them; that'll be good enough." But I couldn't go any faster on my own. Whenever that happens, I always start to talk to God and recite Bible verses in my head. I repeated, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength. God, please help me pass at least one of them. Give me some extra strength." I kept asking him, and I picked up my speed. I passed one girl and said good job. A minute or two later, I passed another. With about a minute or two to the finish line, I went even faster and passed the third and said good job! I ended up getting second female in the race! We congratulated each other after the race on a job well done. I would've gotten fifth if it weren't for God's strength. God has blessed me with a passion for running, and I need to glorify him when I race.

Now, this is one of the most popular verses in the Bible, because it sounds like such a great thing! However, it is sometimes taken out of context and used saying that you can do anything you want and God will support it, and sometimes things that don't glorify God. That's when it becomes troublesome because people say it over and over without reading any of the surrounding text. People wonder why they don't achieve everything they want to... it says you can do everything right? But, not if it's not in the right mindset. I fully believe that God will let you achieve your highest dreams, as long as they can in some way glorify him. If you give your entire life, every little part of it to God, he's going to let you continue your passions. Giving your life to him doesn't mean you have to stop doing what you love, like playing a sport or instrument or art. Giving your life to him doesn't mean you have to become a pastor or missionary. God wants you to excel to the highest abilities in the gifts he has given you. Put lots of energy into whatever passion he's given you. God wants you to bloom in your passion, as long as you do it in the name of the Lord Jesus. Be courteous in competition, help others improve, show love in everything you do. 

Going back to the bible context of Philippians 4:13, Paul was in Roman prison when he wrote this letter. He had faced countless hardships in sharing the Gospel throughout his life. He had shared the story of Jesus with so many, and his life was coming to an end. He was sharing his last bit of wisdom with the people. Philippians 4:12 says, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Paul had surrendered his life to God and was fulfilling God's call for his life. He was trying to glorify God in everything he did, and therefore, even when he had nothing, God gave him strength. God gave him strength that most likely saved his life. He gave him strength and hope to carry on in his tiring journey.

I want to be like Paul. I want to work so hard spreading the gospel that I have to rely fully on God to give me the strength I need to carry on.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10

I'm praying for you all to rely on God's strength.  -Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment